Have you been looking for a fairly stress free way to make a difference? Do you struggle with the how, where, or when to fundraise? Most of us do, so don’t worry too much. With so many organisations and ways to give to good causes, it can be extremely overwhelming to figure out where you fit in. Honestly, many of us struggle with even how to choose an organisation to give to, let alone the next steps.
The good news is that we’ve just done must of the work for you in making a difference this year. If you haven’t heard of the Pink Ribbon Breakfasts that happen across New Zealand, then buckle up. We’re about to show you exactly how to host one, how and what it benefits, and how to host the best breakfast of them all.
So, what exactly is a Pink Ribbon Breakfast?
At its heart, a Pink Ribbon Breakfast is simply a fundraising tool. It is the think child of the Breast Cancer Foundation of New Zealand, and has raised some pretty spectacular amounts of money over the years, with more than $2.1 million raised last year alone!
Pink Ribbon Breakfasts help fundraise, primarily to support cancer research, like breakthroughs in cancer research or medical grants.
Remind me again why it’s so important to fundraise for this?
According to the Pink Ribbon Breakfast website, nine women are diagnosed with breast cancer every, single, day. That’s a crazy amount. It’s the most common type of cancer in women, as well as being the number two killer in cancer deaths. While there’s plenty of research around the world happening, it takes money to complete, money that can help be raised by yourself to really make a difference in women’s (and a small percentage of men’s) lives.
What if I own a business, can I participate that way?
Absolutely. The wonderful thing about this fundraiser is that you can participate in many different ways, and you can do it in your very own style. If you own a business like a cafe or restaurant, you can consider donating a portion of your profits in May to the Pink Ribbon Breakfast. Some businesses prefer to donate a small percentage of each item sold, while others will make a lump sum donation at the end of the month, depending on profits.
The Pink Ribbon website also suggests fun ideas like having a new item on your menu for May that the proceeds go towards cancer research. Try naming it a fun name and make sure to explain what it means if someone orders it.
What’s in it for me?
We have to admit, if you’re asking this, then maybe this isn’t the right thing for you. You won’t get any perks from being a host, or earn anything back. But, you will get that amazing feel good feeling that you’ve done something worthwhile, and for a good cause. And if anything, it’s also just a fun time for you and your friends and family to get together for a lovely breakfast, and to flex those amazing hosting skills.
While we’re definitely anti personal gain, there is a bit of competition that you can sink your teeth into if you’re into that kind of thing. Check out the leaderboard to see who’s in the lead for fundraising amounts, and use this as your motivation to start hosting and raising money!
How the heck do I do this?
Yay! We’re happy you’ve made the decision to host a Pink Ribbon Breakfast! We promise it’s easy, and you can make it as stress free (or stressful if you’re into that), as you want. First off, visit the Pink Ribbon Breakfast “How to host” page, linked here. After that, it’s all about planning the breakfast. Figure out what you’re going to serve – whether you’ll have it catered or make the food yourself, etc.. Then work on your fundraising! Here are some excellent tips to help you hit your fundraising goal.
Okay but how do I make my breakfast extra special?
There are plenty of ways to host your breakfast, and we’ve got you covered to make it the best one ever.
- Offer kick-ass food: Think along the lines of organic coffee suppliers, or vegan breakfast options. We’ve been hearing a lot about the health benefits of turmeric lately, so consider adding a turmeric latte to your menu.
- Decorate with fresh themes: Think bright pink floral arrangements and streamers. If you’re really feeling bold, consider silly decorations, like breast shaped cookies or balloons, to you know, really get into the spirit of the morning!
- Location, location, location: For an extra special breakfast, consider hiring out a small function venue for your breakfast. This way you don’t have to worry about space constraints or too much cleanup. You can also make it a fancy high tea without having to purchase the linens or chair covers, as the venue will likely provide that.
- Go with a “make-your-own” style: A popular version of brunch these days is to make it yourself. Try a toast bar, coffee station, or DIY pancake area, or all three! People love assembling their own concoctions, and it can be a fun way to get the brunch started.
- Don’t forget the alcohol: How could we forget the best part about brunch? Obligatory caveat – if this is a before or during work Pink Ribbon Breakfast, you should clear the idea of alcohol with your boss first. For the rest of us not at work, there is so much more than the traditional mimosa you can offer to make this a super fun breakfast! Here is a whopping 30 brunch cocktail recipes to liven up your party.
Ready to make a difference for the month of May? Click here to get registered and on your way to the glories of being in the top ten on the leaderboard! Or, simply know that you’re raising money for an amazing cause. Happy hosting!